Making sure you are as prepared as you can be for your quit date is one part of a solid plan to quit smoking. Plans for a quit date can look really different for different people so the important thing to do is make it personal – this is all about you!
Here are some ideas to get you started (take the ones that look good to you – leave the rest):
- Clean and fresh: clean out your car, air out your house, dry clean your jacket and your favorite sweater.
- Don’t go it alone: find someone to confide in for support – ask a friend, a family member, or join a group on becomeanex.org! Do something fun with someone who has a positive outlook on your quit date.
- Go to a movie, go for a bike ride, visit the library, try a new recipe, take a class
- Dispose of all tobacco, ashtrays, and lighters: Let’s face it – if you have a cigarette in the pocket of your winter coat in the back of the closet, it will call to you. Get rid of it!
- Make an appointment: see your dentist or other health care provider, or arrange to see a Tobacco Treatment Specialist. This can be motivating and a next step toward a healthier, happier you!
- Purchase medications: the medical community now understands the nature of tobacco dependence like never before and the verdict is in: using at least one medication when you try to quit smoking can double your chances of quitting for good. Get the medicine you choose or is recommended by your doctor well in advance of your quit date, and read up about how it works and how to use it.
- Reward yourself: this is hard work, and you deserve all the credit! In the days and weeks to come be easy on yourself when you can.
Share your plan and get more ideas from others at becomeanex.org! You can do this.