My wife works at a hospital. Whenever one of our cars is in the shop (or my daughter from New York City unexpectedly pops in, then borrows my car) I take my wife to work and pick her up. Today she was working in a new area, and I went to a different place to pick her up. I had to drive by the smoking area to get there.
- I can't believe that hospitals have smoking areas (although, this one might not have been sanctioned, it was just near the main entrance)
- I can't believe that staff would allow patients to walk out of the building with their IV still attached, wheeling a pole.
- I can't believe how utterly pathetic someone looks in a hospital gown with bare legs showing, a winter coat over that, an IV pole in one hand and a cigarette in the other hand standing outside when it is 5 degrees (wind chill of -9).
- Unfortunately, I can believe that would have been me when I was a patient, had I only known it was allowed.
- I'm really, really glad I don't smoke anymore.