cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bkufeld

16 year old son who doesn't care about dangers!

Hi, I am new to this group.  I have a 16 year old son who vapes.  He keeps denying it, but we keep finding vapes and I have actually caught him vaping in his room.  As much as we impart the dangers of vaping to him, he tunes us out and doesn't seem to care.  Grounding him is not the answer as it doesn't eliminate the behavior.  How can I really get through to him and trust him to go back to his friends house where his friends vape.  I am sure this post is very common.  Any help, suggestions or shared experiences that u can help, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks so much.

Labels (1)
19 Replies
LynnK

I know for a fact that he is getting the black market stuff. The sherrifs department has already talked to the owner of the convience store where the kids here buy the stuff. and he said he would give him another visit.... deputy said that i couldnt press charges because i didnt have the product that they sold my son. which i think is BS.  im just looking for a place to vent... 

0 Kudos
Cousin-Itt

LynnK  Is their a uncle / aunt  or someone your son always looked up to and like that he might listen to

and if the store owner is selling to minors it seems your sheriff's department could do more than talk to him 

Try getting more parents involved and your local newspaper 

I do wish you the best

LynnK

His older brother, but he just tries to avoid him now...

I had to go pick him up from the police station at 3am this morning. He sneaked out of the house and left with his buddies. They were all (at least 6 of them) picked up while hanging out at the ball park, high as a kite. My son tells the cops that it was his "weed" I think one of the boys is 18, so here my son is trying to protect him.

Your advice is comforting. maybe he will out grow this and become a productive member of society, IDK..

0 Kudos
KellanC74

There was a kid at the local high school that was given a vap pod laced with something else.  Between classes the kid vaped and had a seizure the next class...I wish that there had been more things that I could have educated my daughter about last year but this year she said to me I wish I had never done that cause if I had known I would never had tried as she read/watched the news about kids in the hospital with lung issues from vaping 

0 Kudos
WhispersQSMB

That black market stuff is all over, kids are kids and if 1 adult supports the use of it, makes it harder for you to get through to them.. This came out a few months back, crazy

Vapers seek relief from nicotine addiction in — wait for it — cigarettes 

0 Kudos
LynnK

It is terrible here. When these immigrants started operating 99% of the convenience stores in this area, the problem exploded. All they care about is getting that $$$ and we are just handing it over to them. Makes me sick.

0 Kudos
WhispersQSMB

Im in NY and its the same here, they get busted but open up in a new name. They sell swag ciggs to drugs/pills in the stores. I have walked into these stores and its not setup like a normal store at all, no newspapers, bongs all over, the deli case are so nasty only a person high or inebriated would order something. These people have multiple names, hopefully your son wakes up. Why not try getting him to watch the show intervention  or something to show him what addiction can turn into. Intervention Full Episodes, Video & More | A&E 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

bkufeld

Visit This is Quitting  with your child. We have text messages for your child and other information for you to review. 

Check out For Parents — Parents Against Vaping E-cigarettes  Resources.

Here is one of their videos in their resources to help start those conversations

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
CrazyQuitter

I have never had kids. But I can see that as a mother you are rightfully worried about your son. At the end of the day he is old enough to make his own decisions. If he ever decides to stop vaping do what a mother does best and just support him. What I can suggest though is try to educate him even if he doesn't care about the danger. There is new research coming out all the time. Let us know how you go   

0 Kudos
KellanC74

I will support my daughter but I will be providing her with what will happen if she continues to use the vape...asthma symptoms will get worse 

0 Kudos